Pages

Wednesday, July 19, 2023

Imagine the Oregon offense, with Bo Nix even more focused and having more fun

 


When Bo Nix was starting as a freshman quarterback at Auburn, he used to wear a white wristband that read, “Humble Over Hype.” Teammate Javaris Davis gave it to him. 

He told ESPN's Holly Rowe, “It reminds you to stay humble, because there's a lot of hype around you – and [it reminds you] how you can have an influence on other people at the same time,” Nix said. “That's really important.”

Nix has changed wristbands since then, but what hasn't changed is the faith and perspective that empowers him as the Oregon quarterback. After a season in which he accounted for 44 touchdowns (29 passing, 14 rushing, one receiving) he's even more grounded and optimistic going into his final season of college football.

After Oregon's fifth spring practice he said, "I've grown so much off the field and on the field, as a leader and as a teammate. As a quarterback, you can't really put a price on how much you've grown. I think it shows now with my confidence out on the field. I have a difference sense of awareness when I'm out there. Being under this offense, even though it's not all the same, I have the concepts down, so it's not as much thinking as it is just playing. It's matching what I know from what I've learned with what I'm being taught and just going out there and playing.

The new-found confidence produced great things for the Ducks last season. Nix set a UO record for accuracy, completing 71.9% of his passes while leading his team to 10 wins in a variety of ways. Against UCLA he threw five touchdown passes. Against Colorado, he passed for two, ran for two, and caught a touchdown pass from tailback Bucky Irving.


When you're having fun, the game seems simple. After the UCLA win he said, “I think it’s just scheme and the players around me. To be honest, when I’m out there doing it, it feels like I’m not doing a whole lot because I don’t have to. I just have to get the ball to the playmakers around me.”

“Honestly, it’s easy to be in position because all I got to do is make sure the ball gets to the right person. “We’re just playing good team football right now. I think each and every one of us are very connected, are very close with one another, and it shows on the field.”

The exciting thing is, the Ducks offense will have even more talent and connection in 2023. These profiles provide a closer look at the coaches, new offensive weapons, and returning players who will have bigger roles this season: 

(Each headline provides a link to a previously posted story)


New arrival Nishad is the Oregon o-line's Strother from another mother


 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment