Pages

Sunday, July 23, 2023

Spencer Webb continues to inspire Oregon Duck football and the many lives he touched

 


Friday at PAC-12 Media Days in Las Vegas, Dan Lanning was asked about Spencer Webb and what his memory still means to the team. 

Webb died last summer in a climbing accident on a cliff above Triangle Lake in a remote part of Lane County. He was 22 years old, a gifted tight end and a warrior of light and life.

Lanning said, "There’s really not a day that goes by that you don’t think about it. Tomorrow we’re actually — we finish every summer workout with the climb up Spencer’s Butte. That’s going to be a big capstone to our season. Guys will go on that walk that didn’t know Spencer, guys that climb the hill that didn’t know him personally. A lot of people that were impacted by Spencer every day when we climb that butte.

Something that means a lot to me. Opportunity to express the importance of life, taking advantage of the time while you’re here on earth for our guys."

Spencer overcame difficult circumstances to become a scholarship football player at Oregon, a four-star tight end in the recruiting class of 2018. As a young boy both of his parents deserted him, hopelessly lost in drug addiction. Spencer was raised by his grandparents and then later his half-brother Cody, who became his legal guardian. 

By middle school Webb had failing grades and was already getting into trouble. Cody and his wife Alicia provided structure for him, helping him to raise his grades to a 3.4 average as he emerged as a football star at Christian Brothers High School in Sacramento. 

Webb told the Sacramento Bee, “I grew up faster than a lot of kids. I never really had a mom or dad in my life. They chose to do other things, bad things, so it’s been me and my brother. I had a dream, he had a dream and we’re making that dream happen. It doesn’t really bother me now not knowing my mom. She missed out. I’ll see my dad every once in a while. I tell him I love him, but he understands the role my brother has in my life, that my brother is my everything."

On the football field, Webb played 20 games at Oregon. He caught 31 passes for 296 yards and four touchdowns.

But his lasting impact came in the vibrance and joy he expressed every day. Former Duck softball star Haley Cruse Mitchell wrote in a Twitter tribute, "I know many will remember Spencer for his talent on the football field. But he was one of the most genuine, kind, and compassionate people I’ve ever met. He left his mark on everyone who had the pleasure of meeting him. Tell your loved ones you love them."

On Saturday as Lanning promised, the team concluded their summer workouts with a hike up Spencer's Butte, six miles south of Autzen Stadium.

No comments:

Post a Comment