Pages

Friday, January 14, 2011

An Article I Wish I Had Written

Weazoe, one of the ATQ fan contributors, had this post about the pain of coming close and losing, and I thought it was one of the most eloquent and heartfelt examinations of the experience of being a fan that I had ever read. Here's an excerpt:

I wanted the Ducks to leave Auburn flat-footed, to show the world that we were faster and sleeker and tougher than any opponent. I didn't want to settle for showing that we were tougher than we looked, but not quite good enough to beat a team that was bigger and stronger. I wanted to wake up to the dream photo of the Duck hoisting the crystal trophy, not Auburn's sly, smooth-talking star. I wanted green and yellow confetti to rain down across my home state, and I wanted to savor a moment in which I could be assured that every former friend and colleague, enemy and rival was united in the pure joy of improbable triumph. I wanted to live in the world in which those dreams came true, not this one, where they keep on being dreams while everyone else moves on.

His impressions and recollections are keen. I particularly enjoyed the salute at the end to the particular players and what they brought to this year's team. We'll miss the 2010 Ducks, and can only hope the 2011 team can match their heart and intensity.

No comments:

Post a Comment