Pages

Wednesday, January 26, 2011

It's a Whole 'Nother Kind of Day to Be a Duck

Rob Moseley reports that Dennis Dodd of si.com has an article on early Heisman candidates, and it includes three Ducks.  This is like a great dream where you never wake up.  Seriously, when Joey's billboard went up, did you ever think Oregon would have one Heisman trophy winner, let alone three players mentioned for the award at once?  LaMichael James and Darron Thomas came immediately to mind, but I did an "oh yeah, of course" when I read the third name:  Cliff Harris, who Dodd described as "the designated Charles Woodson candidate."

Truth is, if Andrew Luck stays healthy, he's a definite front runner by a wide margin.  But say Stanford slips back a little in their first year without Harbaugh and two new coordinators, loses two or three games.  If the Ducks achieve their potential and put together another strong season, the three-headed monster has to get a lot of attention.  Then there's Josh Huff, who averages 15 yards a touch, running or receiving.   Suppose he gets 50 touches this fall, and maintains his wondrous productivity.  How long before he starts making some top ten lists and projections?  Just sayin'.

Roderick Byers, a 6-5 270 defensive linemen from South Carolina, held a press conference today and in front of his parents and coaches and classmates and friends, committed to Oregon.  He's a 3-star prospect, a defensive end in high school who may play inside as a Duck, strong, runs a 4.8 40, which is exceptional for his size.  Here is some junior video.  He sifts through blocking very well, and pursues, very promising.  The coaching and strength training he'll get at Oregon could elevate him to a very good player.  Here's an interview in a camp setting; he comes across as a modest and likeable kid.  He wants to play right away, and expressed a preference for defensive end in the interview.  He seemed a little uncomfortable with all the attention, which is a good sign in a recruit.

A critical factor for him, now that he's declared a decision, is how well and how quickly he adjusts to being so far from home.  Oregon has to feel like family to him.  He has to be encouraged and embraced and made to feel a part of the team.  Leaders in the group will have to reach out to him.  He'll need a support system and good influences.

Talent and potential he has.  Oregon's coaches and players will have to make him one of their own.  It's especially important with a kid who is traveling such a long way, and making such a big adjustment culturally.

If the Ducks get signatures from the entire group that has committed, and add another couple of key names among Heyward, Simmons, Dawson and Branden Jackson, this will be the most remarkable recruiting year in Oregon history.  Marqis Lee still remains an outside possibility, an impact safety from California with the athletic talent to also star at wide receiver, but most projections have him going to USC.

2 comments:

  1. Dear Dale, I never comment on anything. This is the first comment I ever posted on a blog. I had to choose aim because when I tried to leave a comment under name/URL, the site did not accept my e-mail address as a valid URL. So I have no idea what I am doing. But I just wanted to congratulate you and let you know that I read your posts every day. I don't know if your site records hits. Keep up the good work. I love your insight.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dan,

    I appreciate that very much. The site does record hits and last I checked we're at about 75,000 since we opened for business in July. It's been very gratifying to see it grow.

    We're in a bit of a transition right now because my work schedule changed. I used to be in the call center and I worked 3:30 to midnight; I switched to the warehouse this week and I'm working 5:30 am to 2. I used to post new content every morning and update throughout the day. Haven't really found the rhythm for the new schedule. I think I'll try to run out the new stuff around six in the evening most nights.

    Really appreciate the comment and your readership.

    Best wishes,

    Dale

    ReplyDelete