Pages

Sunday, December 5, 2010

The Most Incredible Christmas Present Ever

My brother Mike the Husky fan (he's a graduate) travels the world in his business. He installs large stadium jumbotrons for a multi-national company, does conventions, golf tournaments, World Cup soccer matches, the works. Pretty interesting job. Accumulates more air miles than he could use in two lifetimes. Not the luckiest guy in other areas, though. His Huskies make a bowl, and it turns out they're playing in San Diego, his hometown. On a weekend he's working 4,000 miles away.

The thing is, Mike is a remarkably generous man. A class guy through and through. The Ducks' recent dominance of his beloved Washington has been galling and bitter, but Mike's faithfully paid off every wine bet and sent the congratulation emails and acknowledged the Ducks' accomplishments. He's never made excuses. He's stayed faithful to his alma mater through the Neuheisel and Willingham debacles, and maintained his cautious optimism as Locker and Sarkisian made the first anxious steps toward recovery. You have to respect that, and welcome it. A rivalry is no fun without some genuine competition. You want an opponent to compete, to challenge you and acknowledge your victories.

So when I came home on Saturday night there was a text message from Mike, my brother, who I only get to see once or twice a year. Congratulations, it said. Check your email.

I had one new message. From Southwest Airlines, a round trip ticket confirmation to Glendale, Arizona. The dream keeps getting sweeter. I checked the details twice, just to make sure. Leaving Monday morning, returning Tuesday night..

We're going to Glendale. And I've got the ticket to prove it. Merry Christmas Duck fans, wherever you may be.

6 comments:

  1. There's no Glendale without Dale. You deserve a spot there, in my book. Have a blast.

    And Go Ducks!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dave,

    Thanks for your comment. Wow--what a ride, for all of us.

    It's going to be interesting to see how we handle a month of buildup.

    Dale

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats Dale! It's been a season for the ages and will forever be the season I remember the most! Your blog has been invaluable in keeping this frozen Duck warm (I live in Bethel, Alaska) throughout the season! Thanks for all your writing!

    GO DUCKS!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dice--

    Thanks for your comment, and very glad you've enjoyed the blog. We'll try to keep up the pace for the cold 35 days of waiting until Glendale.

    Dale

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dad--

    First of all it saddens me to know that I will have to listen to the Duck fight song for another whole year. (For members of the blog whenever the Quack Quacks beat my Beavs Dad is allowed to answer his phone with the fight song, when I win (I think we used to right?) he is banned from the song for a whole year). Secondly, yes Dad congratulations on your victory. I was gonna buy you tickets too but now that Uncle Mike has taken care of it for me....well you know, I guess the original Olive Garden bet will just have to do. I'm really happy for you and I hope that you have a wonderful time in AZ. Your readers are right, you deserve it and you did an outstanding job this year with your blog. I'm proud of you. Love you, and I wish you and the Ducks lots of luck in your next game (ugh I can't believe I said that)! Talk to you soon.

    Steph (it's too late now the Quack Quacks are too busy to come get me)

    PS - I'm coming home for Christmas with all of your grandkids, call me sometime and I'll give you the details. Now that the season is over for a little while I bet I'll hear from you more :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Steffer--

    dah dah dah da da dah dah...and I think you know the rest. Go Ducks! Great to hear you'll be in town with the little munchkins. Can't wait to teach Elizabeth the fight song.

    Love,

    Dad

    ReplyDelete