Pages

Sunday, October 17, 2010

Ducks Are Number One in Both Polls: Can They Stay There?

Alabama and Ohio State couldn’t.  Six PAC-10 schools with great individual stars will be gunning for the Ducks.

Oklahoma, TCU, Boise State and Auburn will be lobbying to replace them, on and off the field.

If you had told me when I was 20 that the Ducks would be number one when I was 55, I wouldn’t have believed you.  I never thought I’d live to see it.  In the words of the immortal Mickey Mantle, “If I had known I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself.”

Tomorrow I’m going to buy the Oregonian and The USA Today and put the sports sections away in my sock drawer.  It took 115 years, but the Ducks are number one.

Health, depth, and injuries will be a huge factor in staying there.  Maintaining focus on each opponent (just ask the Tide or the Buckeyes) will be another.

The big question is, do the Ducks have a good enough defense to go undefeated?

I have to tell you, I watched Cam Newton and Auburn hang 65 on Arkansas, and they look pretty good.

But the great thing is, most of this will be decided on the field in the next two and a half months.

1 comment:

  1. Clearly, Oregon is good enough to go undefeated, But, we have a lot of very good teams left to play. What a season!! One for a lifetime.

    ReplyDelete