Pages

Friday, September 17, 2010

Don't Mess with the Zoltan. Don't Mess with The Duck Stops Here Predictions Thread Either

Cal is getting more than they can handle in the early going from Nevada, trailing 21-7. The Pistol offense is shredding the Bears defense--they can't find the ball and are getting beat to the edge. Nevada quarterback Colin Kaepernick is giving the Cal linebackers whiplash so far, finding open receivers, delivering a nice catchable ball and showing great pocket presence. Meanwhile the pocket has collapsed repeatedly on Kevin Riley, who doesn't respond well to pressure.

I mentioned yesterday in my breakdown of this game that off-night games are a weird, unpredictable entity for road teams. The Nevadas and Boise States of the world are used to the odd starts, and at home, it creates a significant extra advantage for them.

Don't have time to comment further on this one. I'm taking my wife dancing. Cal might rally and pull this one out, but it's not looking that way. If games were decided on talent alone, Cal and UCLA would make the top 20 every year. They're not. College football is a game of emotion, momentum and effort. That's why I like Coach Kelly's philosophy of winning the day. It creates a constantly growing momentum, and develops a habit of quality effort throughout the year.

3 comments:

  1. BP--

    I'd rather be lucky than good. I have to admit when I watched Vereen bust the long run I got a little worried I was on the wrong side of it, but Cal is one of those teams you can depend on to play below their potential two or three times a season. This had trap game written all over it, particularly with the Friday kickoff.

    As I've said before I think it's crazy to bet college football, but if I were to bet I would avoid road favorites playing Thursday or Friday like stale cheez-its and water up the right side of the fairway. The WAC and Mountain West own these games; it's their own private playground.

    You owe me a quarter.

    Have a great weekend,

    Dale

    ReplyDelete
  2. Makes me wonder how much team speed Cal has.

    ReplyDelete